VALERIA 2016: How to Look Classy for Prom

10:19 PM




L to R: Czarina Castro, Chloe Reyes, Jane Gensaya, Nikki Toledo

On the 26th of February, the Senior High School Promenade was held at the Blue Leaf Filipinas. Everyone was dressed in their most delicate and elegant dresses and suits, which had made them look so fashionable. It was the night one would expect to be the best---and for me, it was indeed unforgettable. Weeks before the Promenade, we had already been preparing everything in order to make it a perfect night. From the platforms and shined wing tip lace ups to the sheath dresses and black tie suits. In some events, there are dress codes that we have to follow. So, we were required to follow the rules and here are some that I recall from my memory:

  1. No cocktail dresses, meaning, long gowns that touch the floor are strictly recommended.
  2. If there are slits on your dress, it should not be more than 1 inch above the knee.
  3. If your dress is sleeveless or is designed to be a tube dress, a shawl is to be worn over the shoulders and is strongly observed.
  4. Tuxedos should have a perfect fit.
  5. For guys, so not wear maong jeans.
  6. For guys, wear formal shoes, preferably leather shoes.
  7. Lastly, ENJOY THE NIGHT! 

Now, it is very important that we should always abide with these rules not only because the school wants us to, but it is also for our own benefit and that nothing would go wrong during the night! Who would want a wardrobe malfunction while slow dancing with your crush for who knows how long? I know I wouldn't want that! Furthermore, I would like to point out some of the most effective tips that I, myself, abide on especially for occasions like the Promenade! Believe me, this will save you from the embarrassment that you've probably been worried about!


Prom Clutch. Bring only what you need the most!

Before thinking of what to wear for Prom, I strongly suggest that you think of what to bring for your safety during the night. Girls tend to have a lot of things to worry about during the night of the Prom. For instance, sweating too much, messing your hair up that was worth almost 5 hours to do, foundation that have probably melted off of your face during the first few hours and the likes. Honestly, these were my concerns and I didn't know what to bring to Prom since I only had a small clutch. I learned that the things I needed were just a few, when I came across this photo: 

Photo by: The Beaty Department
Out of this photo, I had brought with me the following:

  1. E.L.F. Matte Lip Color in Tea Rose
  2. Lipstick in a light shade of purple
  3. MAC Penultimate Liquid Eyeliner in Rapid black
  4. Bobby pins
  5. Hair tie
  6. Cellphone 
  7. Safety pins (I almost had to use these!)
  8. Prom stub
  9. Panty liners (who knows when nature will call you?)
With these, I have reassured myself that I will have to worry no more because even the simplest things like what I have listed above, it can really help go a long way. For example, after you've eaten the main course of the menu, your lipstick had most likely worn off and what you can do is just grab your clutch, pull out your lip liners and re-touch! You don't have to bring a full sized bag just to survive Prom, with a small clutch, you're all ready to go!

Wear a smart hairstyle that will go well with your dress.

Sometimes it can be hard to pick what hairstyle to use for Prom since it is a special occasion and you want to look your best and not look like your typical Sunday morning where your hair is just all over the place and it's just not cooperating with you. At all. So, there are a lot of ways on how you can do your hair for different types of dresses. This guide will give you so much advantage and at the same time, it will not take away the attention to your beautiful dress!



Photo by: House of Wu


If your dress is designed to be a tube-like dress, you can either put your hair down into soft, wavy curls or put it all up in a simple braided hairstyle. Now, take note that if you are wearing this kind of dress, make sure that you wear it securely and that no bra straps or bra cups in general, are seen! This is a common accident so be careful with your posture, especially in dancing! 

Low necklines can be tricky to pull off so, with a half up, half down hairstyle, it will give off an elegant yet edgy look to your dress. I am in a private school and our teachers are very particular with how much skin you show off. I suggest using a medium to long shawl to put over your shoulders so that at least, you wont feel too uncomfortable and it can also serve as a blanket if it gets chilly!


Choose a long, flowing dress!

Long dresses are the most classic kinds of dresses for special occasions like Prom. It is very elegant especially with the intricate designs on it.  And not to mention, long dresses are comfortable to wear out on normal days as well! 

L to R: Hannah Peñafiel, Jane Gensaya, Laetisha Rasco, Nikki Toledo


Just like my dress, I chose to have a long dress with long sleeves that has delicate designs on it, as well as a see-through are around my chest with the same design flowing down to my waist area. I chose to have a soft grey toned dress because for me, it looks very chic and classy, without being too flashy. Mermaid cut dresses are also a very good choices for dresses since it highlights the curves of the body. Here, it is okay if you choose a light color so that it won't be too bright and over decorated. These are just some of the many kinds of dresses that one can wear to prom but I certainly recommend long dresses because it is an overall classic look!


With these tips on how to look your best at your Prom night, I assure you that whatever comes your way during the night, nothing will ever make you disappointed for you have prepared so much for this! Be comfortable with what you wear, be aware with your surroundings and just enjoy the good company that you have around you! This has been my personal guide for your own Prom celebration and I hope you make the most out of it and don't forget to take tons of photos with your friends!






All the best,
NIKKI














You Might Also Like

0 comments

Subscribe