DO NOT BREAK, CREATE!

5:31 PM


Calligraphy by Czarina Castro, 11H

             One of today's trends doesn't only focus on fashion and music, but it also focuses on art, from modern to contemporary. From all the exhibits and museums I've visited, art will never have a limit. It is boundless, ageless and elegant --- from the strokes of the painting or the sketch of the charcoal pencil, it represents the innermost thoughts of the artist. No color, stroke or sketch would mean nothing, then it is not considered art. For me, art is the simplest, yet most complicated to understand. Yes, it is easy to splat a color there or draw symmetrical lines on a canvas, but does it reach out to your audience? As a young artist, I find myself asking the same question over and over again. Needless to say, I'm still learning the essence of art, but that is the meaning of art for me. 



             For about a year now, I've been doing calligraphy, specifically Modern Calligraphy. Calligraphy is the means of writing in a more formal way with distinguished strokes and curves. It has rules to follow, like, how to hold the pen or the proper way to make a down stroke. My aunt gave me a wooden holder and various of nibs from Paris, but I never got to learn the form of calligraphy for it was too detailed for me. As a student I want something light, yet it looks as if I made an effort to do the lettering. The difference between the traditional calligraphy to modern calligraphy is that the latter does not need rules. Modern Calligraphy is the opposite of the traditional calligraphy, for it breaks the rules and it is based on personality. That is the very reason as to why I decided to learn modern calligraphy, not only that it gives me freedom, but it also stemmed from my childhood, where I used to do a lot of lettering.


"You're a work of art. Not everyone will understand you, but the ones who will never forget about you." -Unknown

"You don't take a photograph, you make it." -Ansel Adams

             I've wasted ink and paper, it may not be advisable, but that's one of the many struggles of being an aspiring artist. I've used gel pens, brush pens, paint brushes, pencils and many other materials you could ever imagine. Although, my favorite is using watercolors for it gives off the look that you gave your best effort (in which, you did!), but it took less time. What I absolutely love about modern calligraphy, it doesn't need to be perfect or straight because art is not about perfection. It is about imperfection being the masterpiece because it means that our imperfections are something we shouldn't be ashamed of, but it is an equivalent of a masterpiece.

YOURS TRULY,

CZARINA CASTRO


You Might Also Like

0 comments

Subscribe