HAUL FOR THE HOLIDAYS: Reviews + Shopping Experience

11:03 PM




     I might have gotten a little crazy the other day as I bought 11 things in a span of one day. The first store I went to was MAC, since I'd been yearning for the day I could finally buy my first ever MAC product. When I entered the magical abode of MAC, the first thing I noticed were their lipsticks; a whole table of them! I went towards the lipstick section, then observed every one of them. I noticed there were a heap of shades for each and every color, from nudes to corals to reds to purples. Although, I also noticed that most of them were similar to one another, like Fast Play and Cosmo (lipstick shades). During that time, I was searching for the perfect nude that would suit my complexion. I usually opted for the pinkish/coral shades because I don't find the pure neutral nudes flattering on my lips. The one that caught my eye though was Fast Play; it was a lovely nude with a pinkish undertone. It's highly pigmented with medium to full coverage. It applied very nicely, and did not settle on the fine lines and cracks of my lips nor did it bleed out. 

Amplified Creme Lipstick: Fast Play // Php 1000

     After grabbing the lipstick, the MAC saleslady recommended a lip primer, for my lips were dry and chapped that day (I guess I was having a bad lip day!). I pondered on it for a moment, if it was really worth it or not. I settled on the former because I'm a true lipstick junkie and I knew for sure I will be wearing vibrant shades of lipstick this Christmas break. The lip primer had a pleasant and addictive scent, and the packaging had a glittery galactic vibe going on, which I absolutely love! I gave it a try the next day, just to see if it would work. Indeed it did! My lips remained smooth and soft, and my lipstick lasted a bit longer than usual.


MAC Lip Primer // Php 1,100

     I then went over to the powder-foundation section, I asked the saleslady for my shade, which was NC35, then brought it along with me to the counter. I paid for everything then left the store, a satisfied smile plastered on my semi-chapped lips.


MAC Studio Fix Powder Plus Foundation: NC35 // Php 1, 900

     After Mac, I went to Happy Skin. I was in the midst of swatching their lippies when something caught my eye. It's the "Eye am here to stay" 24h waterproof liquid liner. I swatched it on my arm and was amazed by the pigmentation. I immediately purchased it because I was in need of a new liner because my old one dried out. When I went home to try it, I was astounded by the result, so I kept using it. After 3 days of constant use, I felt the utmost disappointment because it dried out (not fully) so quickly.


Happy Skin's EYE AM HERE TO STAY: 24h waterproof liquid liner // Php 400

     My next destination was the beauty section in SM. I remember inhaling various scents that wafted the entire floor, which made me feel a bit nauseous. Yikes! I was currently in search of an effective, but gentle makeup remover. I went around searching for one, until I stumbled upon the "L'oreal Gentle Lip and Eye make-up remover". Little did I know that it would leave a stinging sensation on my face after use. It even managed to remove a few eyebrow hair. I tried it once again, the next day deluding myself into thinking that the stinging won't happen again. But it did. I was very upset because I wasted Php 399 on this. The ironic part is that it says it's meant to be gentle, but in actuality, it did contrary to that.


L'oreal Gentle Lip and Eye make-up remover // Php 399

     Since I knew I would be rocking a red lip this Christmas, I got Etude House's red lip liner. I'd been looking for a cheap, but also nice lip liner because I didn't want to spend Php 1,100 on a simple lip liner [*cough* MAC*cough*]. When I went home and tried it, I didn't really enjoy how it applied on my lips. It really defined the cracks and lines on my lips, since I don't have the smoothest lips, and had the tendency to bleed. Plus, it broke in a span of 3 days. But, I should've expected that to happen as it was only Php 98.

Etude House's Soft Touch auto lip liner: Red // Php 98

     Beside Etude House was elf, so I walked around and looked at their products. I ended up finding the eyebrow kit a friend of mine suggested. I then got the lightest shade, then tried it at home. I like the cream (on the left) and the powder (on the right) because it applied easily on my eyebrows. The only problem I had was the brush. It didn't really do an effective job when I used it.


elf's eyebrow kit: light // Php 269.75

     After elf, I decided that I was done (with make-up) for the day. I was in the middle of walking towards the counter, when something caught my attention. The "Maybelline Hypercurl Volum' Express Waterproof Mascara" at Php 150 only! Excitement coursed through me because the last time I got one of their mascaras, I was amazed by how long it made my eyelashes look. I grabbed it from the pile of other mascaras, then paid for everything.

What the product claims:

  • Instant Volume-Building Express Formula quickly thickens eyelashes.
  • Patented Curved Anti-Clump Brush performs separated eyelashes.
  • Ultra Waterproof formula ensures long lasting wear.
  • Curly Fix Formula fixes and curls up the lashes instantly for 75º curl lasting 18 hours.

My opinion on the product:

  • It's a nice mascara to use if you prefer natural-looking eyelashes
  • Not suitable for people who have sensitive eyes
  • Difficult to apply on the inner corners of your eyes and the lower lashes because of its fat brush
  • It clumps coat by coat
  • Good at separating lashes
  • Difficult to remove (it's waterproof)
  • Stings a few hours after use 

Maybelline's Hyper Curl Volum' Express Waterproof Mascara: Very Black // Php 150
(left) before application (right) after application.

     After paying, I went straight to Forever 21. It was packed, as per usual. So, it was a challenge to search for clothes. I ended up getting three items: A white flowy dress, a burgundy knitted cardigan and a cream-colored bag. I feel like this outfit definitely fits the moody season in the Philippines! A burgundy knitted cardigan over a white flowy dress really screams out "Christmas!"-in the Philippines that is. Since, the weather is pretty much unpredictable here, I think that it was a great idea to pair a cool top/dress with something that can keep you warm, exactly what I did below.

Burgundy knitted cardigan and white flowy dress // Php 700 & Php 650
Cream-colored bag // Php 1,400-1,450


     I hope this post entertained or helped you in any way. Thank you very much for taking the time to read this, it means a whole lot. Happy Holidays!



                                                                    - C H L O E R E Y E S




You Might Also Like

0 comments

Subscribe